Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

files won't open (.pdf, .pps, etc.) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luckyfour

Technical User
Feb 7, 2000
CA

I notice with Windows XP and don't know if it's since the service pack that if I'm in Outlook Express and get sent a .pps or .pdf file, it won't open. I have to save it to my hard drive and it will open there but not on the message. Also, when I go to a website and see a link for a .pdf for a form and click on it while on IE, it won't open either. I have to change the target to: and put in into My documents, the open Adobe, find the file and open it that way. Any way not to have to save these files first and just open then via outlook or while on the IE page?

The Outlook behavior is to be expected, if you have set in the options the feature not to open files that potentially could contain a virus.

The Adobe issue is because your security settings in Internet Options, Security, are blocking the ActiveX control required by Adobe Reader.

Well, I tried in the OE and allowed all files to open and the .pdf still won't open (tiny little box on right hand corner). I checked in IE in the add-ons section in tools and it appears that all Active-X's are allowed. Is there some other way that you know of where you need to allow Active X's in IE that I'm missing? I also have Norton Internet Security and Pestpatrol. Thanks.

By mentioning the Add-ins manager it is clear you are using SP2 under XP. It is a nice feature.

Check Internet Options, Security, for the Internet Zone (the Globe icon), Custom Level, and under the subsection ActiveX controls and plug-ins, you select the options in this way: DEEDEEE
(For Disable, Enable)

Appreciate all of your ideas but so far, not working! Followed the DDEEDEEE and went to a webpage and the .pdf still not working. Tried to open in in OE and nada. Any other ideas??

Thanks so much!

Also, I found a .pps file on my hard drive, then emailed it to myself and tried to open it on OE. Got the following error message: The File does not have a program associated with it....create association in file options control panel so it looks like that's what's happening with the .pps ones and the .pdf's will show a tiny box in the top left of the page.

Sorry I didn't give you a better description before. Am making the changes you recommend as we go along. Will also let work know as there is gradually a change over happening there.

The odd thing is is that I have Powerpoint Viewer installed and also, I previously updated to the most recent Adobe reader. It's a mystery.

You might have a DLL registration issue.

Open a new notepad session, to be called IE_fix.cmd, and copy/paste the below:

regsvr32 urlmon.dll
regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Msjava.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 Browseui.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll

Save the file, then double click IE_fix.cmd and answer the prompts. Ignore any error messages.

Reboot and test again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back