Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Files won't Defragment

Status
Not open for further replies.

eoghan07l

Technical User
Sep 12, 2007
IE
I have many large files on my hard disk that i need to keep however they are badly fragmented and defrag won't run against them. is there anything i can do to clear these up without moving or deleting them?

Are you using ntfs filestore?

How much free space on the drive?

Are you actually having any problems with accessing said files? Because I never defrag ntfs filestore - its never made any improvement when I have, can run for hours, and can also create other problems.

Didn't know that. I've never had any problems. What sort of problems does it create?

no i can access the files alright, i was thinking of removing the files temporarily and then defragmenting the drive and then put the files back in the same place they were in, but i'm not sure that will help at all.

Run chkdsk first then defrag

go to my computer, right click on c: , left click properties, click tools, click check now, check both boxes, hit ok and restart.

Once that is done, now try running defrag

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back