Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Files uploading in database

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajsrivatsa9

Technical User
Jun 19, 2001
IN
Hi friends
I want enable my web application to file upload and download feature along with the form submissions. Where can i store these files..? Is it advantage to bring to a folder in my server or keep it in the database. If in database, what will be datatype and size I can maintain..?
Please help me out friends..
Thanks
Rajan

In Oracle 8(i) You can store the file in the database by using the CLOB/BLOB datatype. That way, your file will still be stored on the disk, but in the the table column would be an indicator pointing to where the file is stored. Then you can manipulate the file using the DBMS_LOB stored package. Hope it helps.

I'm proably be picky but if you don;t want to manipulate the data within the DB (Just store it) you might be better of with a BFile, this is like a LOB but is not stored in the DB, it would reduce the size of the DB considerably if the files are large...

On the other hand, bfiles (a) preclude updates and (b) put you more at the mercy of the system administrator (and their competence/diligence) and any users that have access to the directories where your files are stored. Either of these issues may or may not be issues for you.

Friends
I want to store and retrieve the files in a table.
Is it good on DBA's view..? Even I can scrap those files periodically to reduce the load in my system.
Or I have to store the file attachments coming to my server, in a folder..
Which option is best on system admin's point of view..?
Thank you
Rajan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back