Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Files search bug in XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RollyS

Programmer
Jan 28, 2001
PH
Hi! Has anybody fixed the bug of XP-Pro where in you cannot properly search a text file that contains a particular string inside? This is one thing that I missed in Windows 2000 Pro. If anybody can help me, I will really appreciate it. Thanks

I'd be happy with a solution too.

Meanwhile, you can use the find command approach from command line.

Cheers,
Dian

Using the "A Word or Phrase in the File" Search Criterion May Not Work

Navigate to and find this file and fix xp_persisthandler.vbs - Enable XP's "Search" to find text in files. It is reached via Win XP Fixes/ Win XP Search Problems/ Can't find files containing text.

Windows search behaving very very strange regarding asp files and <%
thread779-954523

Thanks, guys. You guys are a big help.

On a similar note,

If you have any plain text file, like the norm, txt/htm/xml/cs/js or with exactly the same content, you can do a find in file search on it. However if you save that same plain text file in another less common format, but still plain text, such as .ADM or .SMS, you cannot do a Find In File on it. Any ideas on a way around this?

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Sorted it....hehehe....from Linney's post. Cheers

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search