Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Files losing Security Tab on NTFS Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moss2001

IS-IT--Management
Aug 23, 2001
GB
Don't know if anyone else has seen this(!)

We have Windows 2000 Server configured as a domain controller. The server hardware has recently been upgraded (It was an NT4 PDC before) and all the data was backed up from the PDC before using Backup exec version 7. Once Win2k server was installed (not upgraded!) the data was restored using Backup exec version 8.6.

We now have a problem accessing certain files on this NTFS partition - receiving an "Access is denied" message. Upon trying to check the NTFS permissions the security tab on permissions is missing and the files cannot be moved, renamed or deleted from the partition at all! This has also occured on files that have not been restored from the backup but created since the restore date!

Have read something on the Microsoft Knowledge base regrading Reparse points and TAG values on NTFS (Article Q232320) but the solution there does not seem to work!!

Anyone got any suggestions - there are a few more details which I won't bore you with here but I can provide them if you want!

I don't know if this helps or if you've tried but when we were part of the JDP with Microsoft during beta testing W2K, we ran into a similar issue, where someone from a W2K server changed the NTFS rights on an NT4 permission, and would not allow anyone withing the NT4 side change it back. In fact, someone from a W2K box, changed the owner over to himself, and only he could then change anything back. Microsoft has a few issue with W2K and NT4 right porting issues. Do you have a screen shot of the properties page for any of the denied folders?

Thanks for the reply! Sounds like a similar problem - only this is locking everyone out, even the file owner!
Anyway, I've got an URL link for you to view the properties page (nicked some space from a friends web server!).

This is the properties of a file that was restored from tape onto an NTFS partition (preserving security) and was working directly after the restore. Now I cannot even take ownership!

PS. Correction to my post above - the Microsoft Knowledgbase article should be Q262320!

Chris Vickers
moss2001@hotmail.com

hi moss2001
try running chkntfs /D <drive> on the drive
just a thought
Kapil Technical Director
Infovalley Interweb Pvt. Ltd.
Microsoft Certified System Engineer
visit
If u find the information provided here useful to u then let me know by clicking on the link below s-)

Tried the chkntfs /d but still no good I'm afraid! Thanks anyway - I'm grateful for all the suggestions I can get!

It's looking like a Microsoft Tech Support call! :-(

Chris Vickers
moss2001@hotmail.com

I know this sounds stupid...but double check your partition. We just ran into the almost same situation with a co-worker. They ran into the same issue...but for some reason the partition (even though they were certain it was NTFS) for some reason went to FAT32...we have a call into MS to figure that one out.

Yes the partition is definitely NTFS as there is a lot of other data on the same partition with the correct security information.

Just to let you all know I called MS tech support yesterday and they said &quot;Hmmm.. never seen anything like this!&quot; Good eh? The only thing they can suggest is to restore all the original data from the NT backup onto another NT Server machine and then use SCopy (resource kit) to copy the data from NT to 2K preserving security. (That was £217 worth of advice!) Trouble is that will not work for any data that has been created on the 2k server since!

Failing that the only thing I can think of is to copy all the remaining (intact!) data to a FAT32 partition and then back on to NTFS and re-apply all the permissions!! Thats another 2 day job!!

Actually - I've just had a thought.. If all the existing data was backed up using Backup Exec v7 (and therefore an NTFS &quot;TAG&quot; for v7) and then restored using Backup Exec v8.6 would it still be looking for v7 somewhere to verify the NTFS &quot;TAG&quot;?
Chris Vickers
moss2001@hotmail.com

It definately looks like a file saved in w98 instead of NT.I seem to remember something about service pack 4 or higher being needed on an NT 4 machine before the NT NTFS was compatible with W2K's version.I wonder if you could somehow convert it to NTFS version 5.

Wondered this myself - I did the 2152 Win2k course about 2 months ago and it was covered in that. Yes NT4 sp4 and higher has NTFS v5, but... (yes there's always a but...)

I mentioned this on the phone to MS yesterday and the reply was &quot;Yes, NT4 SP4+ does have NTFS v5 but it is still different to Win2K NTFS v5!&quot;

I have since proved this to be true by trying to restore a backup made on Win2k NTFS onto NT4 NTFS (sp6a). Backup Exec says it cannot restore due to differences with NTFS on NT and Win2k!

Besides which the NT PDC had SP6a installed when the data was backed up anway!!

As you can imagine I am now thoroughly confused and slowly building myself up for a full server rebuild next week!! Should be fun huh?

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and comments!!! Anything thoughts you can provide are very much appreciated!
:)

Chris Vickers
moss2001@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back