Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Files in use when copying files from one folder to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny99

IS-IT--Management
Nov 21, 2001
DK
Hi

I have a problem on my Windows/XP that I have had for a long time.

When I was copying pictures from one folder to another and I have duplicate filenames in the receiving folder I was prompted to overwrite. After answering yes I got an error telling me that the file I tried to write over was in use.
If I did the copy one at a time it worked as it should.
I always did this in PaintShopPro so I was just more ore less ignoring the problem.

Yesterday I found out that the problem is also there when I do the same in the explorer copying from one folder to another.

In the command prompt everything works fine.

I am running WIN/XP Pro UK at the leasest SP and fixes, and the problem was also there before I applied the latest SP.

Does anyone know how I can solve my problem?

/johnny

Hey,

I have had some success dealing with this problem by, turning on "do not cache thumbnails" found in the tools/folder options/view settings from within any open folder.

Of course if you have recently used these files WinXP may have them "indexed" or cache'd for quick reuse, rebooting the PC will fix that.

phatslug (Missing In System)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back