Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Files copied from old server to new server become read-only! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finchmore

IS-IT--Management
Jan 28, 2004
GB
Hi,

I have a very simple query and hope someone can help.

I have just set up a new server (SBS2003) and copied all the old Word, Excel documents etc. to the new server. I have set the new drive as shared and mapped client's PC's to the relevant shared folder. All files are available to the users but the files only open as read-only.

Does anyone know how to amend the access rights at the server so that the files can be opened by all the users in the normal way?

Thanks & regards.

Check the share permissions (not NTFS permissions) they are read only by default on 2003 server.

1. Are you using Active Directory? Did you set up security permissions to those folders?

2. Are the shares setup for read only access? To find out right click on the shared folder, then click on sharring tab, then permissions button. The everyone item listed make sure its not set just to read.

Hope this helps, I have a permission nightmare at the present time myself.

Screach.....the sound of your world coming to an end at the sight of the dreaded BSOD!

Thanks guys... I've checked the share permissions through the Manage Shared Folders console and indeed permissions were set to read-only. Now that I've changed them, all's ok.

A quick question though (from porkchopexpress's reply); what's the difference between the share permissions and NTFS permissions (and where do I find them both?!)...

Thanks to you both - you've been very helpful.

Cheers.

Finchmore

A quick question though (from porkchopexpress's reply); what's the difference between the share permissions and NTFS permissions (and where do I find them both?!)...
The difference is in how users can access the data.
Share perms allow access to the share and therefore are the first perms checked. If it is not allowed then no further access is granted.
NTFS perms are checked second and allow for a much greater control of access (i.e. whether the files or folder can be modified, perms can be set, listing contents of a dir, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back