Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

files accessed slow through my computer and not shortcuts 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeBattery

Technical User
Aug 30, 2003
GB
Very strange problem here, appologies if I'm missing the obvious. I wrote yesterday about this problem but have found something extra out.

I was having a delay when opening some folders on my hard drive, it would take about 4 seconds to open some, a few even took about 15 seconds to open, when i first clicked the folder icon as part of the doubleclcick the folder would not highlight, after the second click it would look as if I had not clciked the folder at all then suddeny 15 seconds later it would open, during this time I could use everything

Anyway, I defragemted, turned services off, indexing off etc, nothing helped. Today I found that if I send a shortcut to the folder on the desktop that takes 15 seconds to open when I go to it via "my computer" it only takes 1 seconds to open, whats going on? I have a cable internet connection, could that be doing anything?

For remote shares, you can speed up browsing by using regedit:

Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace

Export this key (in order to back it up, just in case) and then delete the key called

{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF} (Task Scheduler).

Close the registry.

checked out that 819017 but I've nothing listed there (and precious little in the way of USB devices - just a mouse). The machine is configured pretty well as when I got it in December (just a lot more on it). Also removing all my 'Network places' and disconnecting the network I still get it (I spotted remarks made about network drives even though that was all working fine previously).
CPU usage hits 10% when I click on My Computer and then flicks slowly between 0 and 4% as normal. All processes are either 'started' or blank.
Checked the event viewer and I see I get a lot of these when clicking on My Computer:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10010
'The server {A1F4E726-8CF1-11D1-BF92-0060081ED811} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.'

Looking at the registry this relates to the WIA Device Manager (kellys wia.reg may not have been far off the mark maybe? though it doesn't touch that entry).
I noticed in the Services that the WIA was disabled so I started that up (it seemed relevant) but that's made no difference; started up all the other (5) disabled services but with no joy.

(nb. I could have deleted the above text and simply put this next part in, but I've already typed it so...)

Success! looks like the AppId string in that class(?) was missing; on an off-chance I exported a copy of {A1F4E726-8CF1-11D1-BF92-0060081ED811} from another machine and imported it and hey presto, everythings working now - beats re-installing XP as I was beginning to think that was the only solution.
Thanks for your time by the way and for pointing me down the right path; I've learnt a lot through this.
Now to look in the Win98 forum, or maybe another day...

I to looked at 819017, with no success. I tried the first reg fix for Task Scheduler, but it didn't help and I'm pretty sure that I can get as far as viewing the folders/shares on the computer where the task scheduler icon is without any problem. It's when I open one of the shares - takes forever! I've tried accessing shares on a Linux box and the XP sys still behaves the same...I have a feeling it has something to do with my install disk - I made an integrated version of SP1 following the instructions I found on a site. I did the same with w2k sp4, and that disk works fine....I may reload with the original XP disk to see if network browsing is any better....

The only reason I'm curious about this is yesterday some guy asked me about this very issue on his network...I know I'm going to see it again...

Oh ya...I tried checking into trgz's fix as well, but I don't get the same event log dcom error, and all the keys look like they are there.
One error I am able to generate, is if I try closing the windows while waiting for the folder contents, I get the 'this is not responding' message and forcefully close it. At that point, I loose my desktop icons and taskbar, then a couple of minutes later, they reappear - creating this error in event log under application: Source:Winlogon 'The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted'

Found the problem...but I don't know how to fix it.

Using TCPview, I've determind that when I go to a folder/share on another computer, for some reason, the computer tries to open a TCP connection to some IP address that is off of my network....the port on the IP address is 8080 which is typical of a proxy server port on some ISP's networks....In TCPview, if I cancel the connection, the share folder opens right away!!!!

I'm excited, but, how the hell do I stop this proxy connection from occuring? I don't have any proxy settings in internet options...network places and lan connections are all default...

Here's where I say that I'm on a linksys 4port router...perhaps there's something going on there with it routing network requests off of my network?...again - there are only a couple non-important ports open on it. Keep in mind again - my XP sys was just reloaded....

Thanks!...if you want the IP's that the computer wants to talk to, I'll post them...they all want port 8080 though.

FYI - Went to internet options > connections > LAN settings, and removed all checks for proxy - including the autodetect. Nothing really changed in TCPview, but when I rebooted, it did stop trying to access the external IP/suspected proxy...but it still tries a 192.168.237.1:80 IP...This does still pause accessing the share, but not as long...getting closer...

yea...svchost.exe tries to connect to either 192.168.237.1:80 or 192.168.153.1:80...the delay is like 15 seconds or so...better than 3-5 minutes....

well...interesting find...I tried pinging those IP's the the time was <1ms...It was on the sharing computer. I just realized that I was playing/trying VMware - which creates virtual nics for the virtual computers...LOL! Disabled the 2 virtual nics in network connections, rebooted my other client computer (to flush cache), and wolla!, I can click on a share and it pops up imediatley! Yay!

So - here's my conclusion. The really long delays were caused by my internet options LAN settings being set to autodetect. This caused the computer to try to talk to my ISP's proxy server when I was browsing network places. I know that I don't need the proxy setting to surf, and it's actually quicker not to have it hardcoded there or autodetect, so no big deal that it's disabled.

Secondly, the shorter delay was caused by vmware's virtual nics...It was like having 3 IP's bound to one nic - but only the real one would work as I'm not always using VMware.

Well that's it - anyone having a delay with browsing network places, try out TCPview and check out those IP's and PORTS....phew!

I had the same issue on my PC. I found out the problem was in the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\DelegateFolders\{E211B736-43FD-11D1-9EFB-0000F8757FCD}
Removing this key, or just changing is't name (I put a # sign in front), made my Windows Explorer behave as expected again.

Some background:
This key adds the 'Scanners and cameras' folder as a delegate folder to 'My Computer'. On my PC this folder is empty, but it is indended for WIA (Windows Image Aquisition) enabled imaging devices. When I try to open this folder from the control panel, I get the same timeout error in my system events:
The server {A1F4E726-8CF1-11D1-BF92-0060081ED811} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back