Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filemaker Viewer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WVUFan

Technical User
May 30, 2002
US
I am creating a photo database that I want to burn to CD and send off to friends and family. Will they need to have Filemaker to view it or is there a "viewer" that I can have them download?

I am new to using Filemaker and appreciate your help.

Thanks,

I am creating a photo database = so it IS a database!= so they will.
if you send them as HTML+images they don't need anything special to see them. If it is just a "presentational" aspect of the FM u want them to see then why not use small HTML file...
or send them just the photos and they can use (free) to view them even if they are in photoshop format or a tiff or whatever grapgics format u have....

is there a need for sending filemaker files?

I have not heard of "viewer"....but don't be lazy :) and make some HTMLs for your family :) !

good luck!

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

There is a program called FreePDF that converts just anything to a PDF. It's free. One catch is that is in German, but I figured it out.

You might also try the Fileville forums, although I never found them very helpful. Go to <
Personally, I would love for my organization to get rid of FileMaker completely. For us, it costs more than Access does. And Access doesn't crash half as much.

A runtime version of FileMaker can be included on a CD - however this feature requires the FileMaker Developer product.

okay, I totally disaggree with the first user which replied to your message. First off, there are scores of reasons to organize photos in a database- sorting, searching, consistant formating, web-access, and many others. You don't need a viewr with FileMaker Pro.

FileMaker Inc includes a 'Developer Tool', with there Developer's version of FileMaker which will turn your database into a self running freely distributable database. The network features are removed, but there are way to put them back in if needed.

If you need further help, let me know....

FYI- there are developer tools to create both Mac and Windows versions of your database.

svkingpen :First off, there are scores of reasons to organize photos in a database
--->
WVUFan: &quot;I want to burn to CD and send off to friends and family&quot;
--< now if they need to &quot;search the database&quot; to recognose photos of theor son....well....then yeah sorting and all...but then we are talkig about the &quot;system/application&quot; not just a &quot;file browser&quot; - which is what I understood form the post...anyhow
All the best!

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back