Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filemaker to Access via ODBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

damo82

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2005
JP
Hey all, I have what is most likely a simple question but I cannot seem to figure it out.
I want to summarise Three fields on a table in filemaker developer 7, to simply get me a report on how many hours were spent on a certain operation of a given job.
I will be using the table "Time cards1".

The three fields to be used are:
Job no.
Op code.
Time.

This is the order I need it summarise, with a sum of time at the end.
e.g Data:
job no op code time
561 j002 1:00:00
561 j002 3:00:00
561 j003 2:00:00
236 j002 7:00:00

Summary:
job no op code time
561 j002 4:00:00
561 j003 2:00:00
236 j002 7:00:00

Straight forward enough but I just can't seem to get it.

I tried summarising it in Microsoft access via ODBC, with a sql query but even though access is able to read the correct database when I go to run the query it comes up with this error.
"ODBC -- Call failed
[datadirect][ODBC Sequalink driver][odbc socket][datadirect][ODBC Filemaker driver][filemaker]Parse error in SQL (#-201)"

the sql statement goes something like this:
SELECT DISTINCTROW First([Time Cards1].[Job no]) AS [First Of Job no], First([Time Cards1].[Op code]) AS [First Of Op code], Sum([Time Cards1].[Work Hours]) AS [Sum Of Work Hours]
FROM [Time Cards1];

I'm only new to SQL text so if it looks wrong that's why.
Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Damo.

I don't know what the last bit means, but i'm sure it was called for. Sorry I should have read the "ask the best question" write up first.
I didn't realise my thread would be placed in the MySQL area.
I guess my main two questions are:
a) Can Filemaker pro 7 run a sequal query to analyse the given data in a related table (when there is repeating fields)? I've researched this extensively and could not find a way, but thought perhaps someone found something I couldn't.

or

b) Why am I getting the odbc parse error in Access, when Access is reading and placing the data in a table from filemaker, when i try to run the SQL query? Does it mean that there's something wrong with the query, or am I using the wrong odbc driver (datadirect 32-bit sequalink 5.4 driver, as specified by filemaker)?

I know this is the wrong area to post now, but I thought i'd try and clear it up.
I'll post it in a filemaker thread. Cheers and sorry again.

Damo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back