Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filemaker over VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 11, 2004
US
I have a customer that has filemaker pro 5.5 and has it one two computers and shares them over a network. soon he is going to be moveing to a different town but wants to be able to manage his company. We are going to be putting in a VPN for to connect these two computers, but what is the best way to share the filemaker info. The computer at the old location is the computer that will host the file and he will need to be able to access it from the remote.

I have heard about useing the web wizard but somepeople say that it doesnt work very good. I have thougth about buying filemaker pro server, or even just doing a pc-anywhere session. what is the best way to do it so that it is fast and EASY to use???

Thank You

my vote is for pcanywhere, i use it all the time. i've gone the 'web enabled' route and was very disappointed. a vpn is workable i think but PC anywhere is much easier to setup.

I believe that if you are connected via VPN and map a drive to where the files are located, U should just be able to run FM and access the files as if you were at the office.. this is the reason for VPN.

I understand that, what i am conserned about is the speed of the access of those files.

hi djinnrutger.

we run filemaker over vpn but the time to sort the database is slow.

my suggestions are the following we have implemented all of them

1. pcanywhere to a pc at the office over the vpn then run filemaker on the host pc. (but anyone standing in front of the host pc will see everything you are doing)
2. use xp built in remote control to a pc in the office over the vpn. (remote control does not allow someone to see what you are typing on the host pc)
3 setup filemaker on a citrix server still accessing over vpn (you can publish either filemaker or a specific filemaker application)
4. we use the web services and they work, but we do not have anyone on staff who knows how they were written, but you will need a pc to do the web hosting (at least in version 6 you did)

for a small company best choice would be number 2 it is fast and low cost, you will be happy with the performance.

good luck

you can also blank the screen with PC anywhere so nobody would see what you are doing. I think its in the remote setup.

=========================================
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back