Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FILEDEF and PCHOLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonjas

MIS
Jul 9, 2003
DE
Hi,

I have a question concerning the use and behavior of FILEDEF in a NT-Web-Environment.

Usually you would write the FILEDEF-Command like this:
FILEDEF XXX DISK c:\temp\XXX.txt
to save a HOLD-File to your own harddisk
(ON TABLE HOLD AS XXX FORMAT ALPHA)

Our WebServer is a NT-Server. The users of WebFocus are not allowed to save files on its filesystem, so, they are not allowed to save this XXX.txx-file on the c:-disk of the NT-Server. (The WebFocus-Reporting Server is located on another machine)

I thought, I could use FILEDEF as follows, to address my own local harddisk:
FILEDEF XXX DISK \\mycomputer\c:\temp\XXX.txt

But unfortunately, this doesn't work neither. WebFOCUS doesn't recognize this command.

Is there a possibility to save a HOLD-File to my own c:-disk?

Thanks for any advice!
Sonja

If it's actually a Data File then it won't work.

but if its a report, you may already know this but...

You don't have to do a FileDef, you could say
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF ... or WP or XL
and it will open locally within that program, or plugin within your browser - then you can save it

Hi Sonjas,

When you say "ON TABLE HOLD AS XXX FORMAT ALPHA" , etc.
Webfocus issues a default filedef for the file XXX.
Later you can re-issue this, if necesaary, as follows
FILEDEF XXX DISK c:\temp\XXX.ftm
You appear to be trying to pre-empt the system and to force
Focus to store the file in a *.txt file but I don't think you can do this. I hope I've undestood your question properly. Peter.

Sonja,

We actually made a change in the 5.2.x releases, to accomplish what you want. The problem wais, for output formats which created a Master file as well as a data file, we didn't handle TWO files being downloaded, so we displayed them both in the browser. With the later releases, we SKIP the Master file, and allow you to SAVE the data file to disk. The browser would ask WHERE you wanted to save it. You couldn't use a FILEDEF, because the saving is done on the client machine, NOT on the data server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back