Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File upload via HTTP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horrid

Programmer
May 20, 1999
I need to upload a file via the HTTP protocol.<br>Anyone have any ideas?<br><br>Thanks

the server is running http and your uploading to it??.. I dont believe that is possible.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;if it is, I stand corrected.&nbsp;&nbsp;you could use the internet transfer control and connect to port 21, like an ftp client, and upload the file that way.&nbsp;&nbsp;

Im not sure how but my friend programed a CGi script to do http upload ill try and get it from him

There are two methods for sending data from the client (Internet browsers) to a web (HHTP) server. These are 'GET' and 'POST'. 'GET' method sends the data in the URL (You may have notices the URL of sites like this site, which has a lot of variables) these are the variables sent with 'GET' method. The problem is you can't send larger volumes of data. In this case you can use 'POST', which sends large amounts of data in subsequent packets. So you can upload a file using this.

Note that the packet sent with 'POST' will not necessarily arrive at the server with a right sequence. So you should order them when they are received. Alos you can use third-party upload tools, or you can Microsoft Posting Acceptor, which can be installed from BackOffice Installation program included in Visual Studio Disc 2.

Dang it, Einstiien, I was looking for a fast-track to HTTP but, when I openeed the ZIP file, I found that the source code was written in C++.

Is there a VB translation out there?

Basically the hard bit is that you need to know the boundaries of the data you want to upload, and I have no idea how that is calculated. Looks something stupid like boundary=............3d234FF2d3. Even if you work that out you still need a script on the server to grab the data.I never got it to work.
There is a solution is you are running ASP on your server, and lots of utils to assist you doing it, includeing some server/client combo controls that make it easy. There are even demos of how to do it on the microsoft site.
No luck for non ASP environments, I think its possible but I couldn't get all the details sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back