Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Transfer Protocol Task

Status
Not open for further replies.

mllam98

Programmer
Sep 11, 2000
US
I am new to dts, I am creating my first package I found an article that showed how to create a ftp task. I set the properties:
source = Internet Site
ftp site = ftp://mlambert/lossrun
username=username
password=password

When I click the files tab I get the following error message "Unable to connect to the internet! Please check the source site information, your username and password"

I have verified that all of that is correct I tried connected to this ftp site with wsftp and it worked. I also tried connecting to several other ftp sites and could not connect to any of them either. Any thoughts on why this is not working in the dts designer?
Thanks
Maria Lambert

when you say that you were able to connect with wsftp was that from the server itself or from your computer?
My fisrt thought here might be that your server is blocked from internet access by system admin.

I am doing all development on my local machine. The sql server is on my machine. I do have internet access on my machine

try connecting using ftp://mlambert/ or ftp://mlambert and see if it lets you connect to the internet then (I know this immediately doesnt solve the problem but try anyway) I've had a similar problem previously when trying to connect to sub folders

I tried that I am still getting the same error

ok. so the sql servers on your machine and so's the ftp site... try using the ipaddress of your machine see if it lets you connect that way.

another thing, can you connect to external ftp sites ok with wsftp?

I'm also new to DTS and I'm having a similar problem.

The FTP site I'm trying to connect to is part offsite. I have only the IP address to connect, no site name. I connect fine straight to the IP, but I cannot get access to any subfolders, I get the same error mentioned above.
I have no problem getting to the subfolders using an FTP client.

Any suggestions?

It worked when I created a fto site at root then connect using the ip I get in then I can drill down to the file
Thanks

noonie,
a couple of the sites I try to connect to let me connect to the root folder then they dont display the sub folders. I'm not sure why that is as it works in other ftp software, I think it may be something to do with settings on the remote ftp site as some work and some dont. The only way round it that I have found is to write a command line ftp script and do an execute process task to run it.

Thanks Matthew,

I wanted to make sure it wasn't something I was doing wrong. I will follow your suggestion.

Are you still having this problem? I was getting this too and I took off the ftp:\\ off of the beginning of the address and everything worked fine. Just a suggestion.

Zatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back