Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Transfer on new hd using ZIP Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samiam1

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
I just installed a new m/b, hd, and OS (Win 2000 Pro)on my neighbors computer. The installation went well, with no errors, and the system found his old hd which is Primary Slave (Win ME FAT32). The new drive is NTFS. He's now trying to transfer business files from this computer to another computer (WinME, FAT32) using a Iomega Zip 250, and so far is unable to do so.

(The new hd is 120Gb. The old one is 13.6Gb)

Could the different file systems (FAT32/NTFS) be the problem? If not, any suggestions?

Well, was there any errors? what is the other system? does each have a nic? if so build/buy a crossover cable and transfer that way,easier,faster,and safer. or if it's in office and they are on same network,just share a folder.

Rich

The new system is Win2K Pro. The old one is WinME. Prior to my upgrading the new system, he was using an Iomega Zip 250 (trot-net) to transfer his files from one machine to the other. (Both machines, however, have NIC's, and I mentioned to him the advantages and simplicity of networking the machines, but he declined). Since I set up the new system (and submitted this post to this forum), his son has attempted (unsuccessfully) to network the machines, which makes me inclined to wash my hands of the whole affair. I really don't see how his son could have had a problem with such a simple task.

The native formats of the machines is not important as the files will be saved in whatever format the ZIP disks use (FAT16 or 32 at a guess).

You have still not posted exactly what your problem is - are you unable to install the drive on one machine or the other, or is there errors messages when you actually try to copy onto it?

Peter G

Problem solved. Thanks for the help.

Hi Samian1, glad everything has been solved!
Would you mind posting exactly how it was solved (even if it is something really simple or overlooked initially), as this will help anyone else looking to this posting for answers, and also gives some feedback to the contributors who are offering their help (ie was our information useful or not, so we can consider this for future postings)

Peter G

Actually, I never experienced his problem myself, but was told that when he copied any of his files to the Zip disk on the machine I upgraded and tried downloading them to the other machine(the WinMe machine), the task was never completed--the machine would just sit there with the hour-glass displayed as if the files were being copied but nothing actually being done. When I tried the same process later, the files were transferred normally, so I can't say for sure there was ever indeed a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back