Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Time and DAte stamp changes even though files not opened

Status
Not open for further replies.

geocabs

IS-IT--Management
Jul 6, 2000
GB
Been accused by arrogant coworker of opening images on his laptop. The files in question appear in his document list with time and date stamps at a time I was using his laptop to access email on the net.

Anyone any idea why Windows 2000 should change these images date and time stamps that I did not open.

Now I believe the time stamp will could change if when you are brousing through the local files and sit too long on one picture and the preview opens (on the left side of Windows Explorer but not on the drive list. understand? Any way it is possible for that. Did you browse files on hi hard drive with out opening them? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Only used the web - did not browse local files. I believe the image files he claimed I opened might have been in his temporary folder. I am thinking cache update ????

Could be but unlikely. I think the guy is just paranoid. If he is checking the time stamp then he has issues he needs to work out. How about any email messges with attachments, did you open any? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Yes I opened a Word Document attached to an email on my web based mail server. I wouldnt say he was paranoid as the time and date stamp is at a time when I was using his machine. I feel he has issues to work out as you say. He trusts what he knows about software rather than his colleague. IMHO he doesnt know much about software as I know I didnt do it. There just has to be a technical explanation. This is for my own satisfaction not his. He can think what he likes.

Was this on a dial up connection or a T1,dsl,cable connection. I dont know of anyway the OS would just restamp files but if your Internet connection is permanent and you have a crappy firewall then an outsider COULD access yur system. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

Just a dial up. No my suspicion is that using Internet Explorer refreshes files that are either in cache and/or a local profile. The laptops in our company are used both online and offline with the same profile. I have suspicions that this issue is caused by Windows doing something it clearly shouldnt. There could also be some other software on his system reading and checking files - maybe a virus checker or Findfast.

Well I am at a loss. I have never known the system to look at files randomly. Not even norton AV. But it could be a possibility. I am interested to know the outcome of this mystery. Sorry I could not be of better help. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back