Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File System Problems (CDROM & Floppy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JavaDude32

Programmer
Aug 25, 2001
US
I have Debian Sarge installed....I think 3.0

Anyways, after doing a net installation using the minimal boot up cd on my compaq presario laptop, I can't mount my cdrom or floppy drives.

I have tried it with a random floppy disk and it tells me that the file system is unrecognizable or something like that. Same issue with the CDROM. Also, when I try to play a music CD in cdplayer under gnome 2.4, it just sits there with the text device error. Under fstab, both drives are set to auto for the FS type. I have added my normal user account to the groups cdrom and floppy. The CDROM drive is a DVD\CDRW combo drive but I don't think that'd cause a problem??

Please help me..I'd really apprechiate it :)
JavaDude32

What is a random floppy disk?
If it is a disk, from which you don't know what it is, it isn't good for testing.
Perhaps it's a empty floppy, unformated?
Then you may not mount it, till a filesystem is needed for mounting.

Try with a dos-floppy:
Code:
mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy -t vfat

Music-cds don't have filesystems too, (songsystem?) so try with a data-cd:
Code:
mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom -t iso9660

Probably your kernel doesn't support a filesystem directly, in which case it should have a kernel-module - but I guess they would be loaded automatically.

You may check this with:
Code:
lsmod | grep floppy
lsmod | grep cd
lsmod | grep isofs

Well fixed the problem, thanks for the tips. The floppy was blank, aye. I found out you can't mount a music cd and my problem with not being able to use the cdplayer was that I had to add my user account to the disk group where /dev/cdrom belongs to, as it was really a permissions problem. Thanks though :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back