Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File System Help!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mastikool

MIS
Aug 10, 2006
US
I have a filesystem that increased in size in the last 2 month according to my report. Question: How do I find to see if there is any pattern to this increase???...THanks in advance...Gracias.

Did the filesystem increase in size or did it just fill up more?

Sorry! it fill up more and I want to find out from where/ and what pattern it filled up.

find . -name "*.log"
find . -name "*.trc"
find . -name "core"

Most of the times, unexpexted increases of a FS are related to logfiles filling up , application coredumps, or Database tracefiles

That should get you started :)

rgds,

R.

du -m

?

unless you were monitoring it when it filled up, all you can do now is look for big files and directories and look at time stamps (and sizes).

You could also check for files over a specific size and check their timestamp to see the latest files. For example:

find / -size +100000 -ls

will search for all files over 50MB.

Regards,
Chuck

To find any files that have been modified in the last 60 days execute:
find /<path_to_file_system> -xdev -mtime +60 -type f -exec ls -ld {} \; > /tmp/filechanges.out

This will check only the specific file system for files modified in the last 60 days and it will create a long listing about the file and save it into a file for review.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back