Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File system error 1026 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

intrepide

Technical User
Nov 25, 2002
CA
Hi !
Running a Dell Dimension T600r P3 with Win 98 se. I am trying to open a .DOC file on a diskette that was saved on another computer. I can open the other files on the same diskette but I keep getting file error 1026 on that perticular one. I can't rename the file, I can't copy the file I just keep getting file error 1026 and when I right click on the file to get it's properties, it tells me it is a WORD document but 0 Ko. If I look at the bottom of the screen of Windows Explorer, after highlighting the file, it says 72 Ko. What gives ? I can't get another copy of that file and really need to open it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance

Intrepide

Microsoft's Knowledge Base web site, refers to several file operations involving Error 1026. But each is solved by freeing space in the hard drive.
Being you have this file on floppy this error prob comes up because of not enough space on the floppy. How big is the original file ? Is the floppy 1.4MB ? Try to save the .Doc file in portions on several disks.

Hope this helps[spineyes] - Shawn

I don't think it has anything to do with having enough space. I still have 80 Gig on my hard drives, RAM is way up there so are resources. The floppy is a 1.44MB, 1.20MB is used on it and that perticular file(a .DOC file) is 72Ko. All of the other files (all .DOC) on the floppy I can open and all of files on the floppy, including the one I can't open, rename, move, etc..., come from the same computer. That 72Ko file is the only one I can't open, rename, etc... Microsoft knowlage base only pertains to deleting the file and I don't want to delete it, just open it.

Does this help ?

Intrepide

Hmmmm [neutral]....
I'd try saving the file on another floppy........
The knowledge base also refers to copying files and refers to insufficient space on the Hard Drive (I know it's a floppy but I'm guessing the same prob ?...)
If this doesn't work...."Hey..I tried [cry]" (Sorry)

intrepide:

You can also get a File Error 1026 when the name of the file includes a non standard character that windows doesn't recognize. Open a dos prompt and with the floppy in type in dir[space]a:\ and press enter. All the file names on the disk should be displayed. See if the doc file has a non standard character in it's name.

Hey BeenThereDoneThat !

I think you've put the finger on the bleeder... The file was originally saved on floppy in the Czeck Republic and I noticed, after spelling it over the phone, that the file name was missing a character and an underscore was showing in it's place. Any ideas how I can rename the file ? I tried from DOS but it did not work, maybe I did it wrong but it seemed not to recongnize the file name.

Any suggestions ?

(By the way, gave you a star for putting me on the right path)

Intrepide

intrepide:

You are going to have to find the exact character that the file was named with before you can rename it. To give you an example - open notepad and hold down the Alt key and on the numeric keypad type in 255 and let go. You will see that windows doesn't know this character so it replaces it with an underscore. The same is true for Alt + 254, Alt + 251 and Alt 247 etc. When you know for sure what keystrokes were used to name the file you can rename it in dos. The syntax would be for example (ren[space]abc[alt+255]def.doc[space]abcdef.doc) Replacing the 255 with the proper number that it was named with. I don't know an easy way of finding this out except by trial and error.

This may be going to extremes but you can open the A disk with a hex editor and do a sector dump if you can determine the begining and ending sectors. You can then rename the 'sectordump.bin' file to 'anything.doc' in windows and it should open in Word because the proper header would still be there.

Thank You for the star. It is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back