Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

file synchornize

Status
Not open for further replies.

mndthegap1

Technical User
Jan 15, 2004
US
have a company with 3 offices 1 in boston one in pa and one in atlanta.
the one in pa is the main pdc or first server in the windows 2000 ad network.
the other 2 servers in atlanta and boston are also domain controllers but are used as file servers for that branch
basically my docs folder redirection for the users in those branches.
i need to synchornize the files from boston and atlanta back to the server in pa to back up everynight.
what is the best way to do this.
all the files are allready there and the redirect allready working.

would i use DFS ? and if yes can that be schedualed to run at certian times at night so it doesnt slow things down ?
also since the docs are allready on each server if using dfs would i make that the main point and then link it back to the server in pa ?

You could use DFS or you might find it easier to simply create a script and schedule to run a copy of RoboCopy.

While I like DFS it can be a pain to deal with. I'd suggest using RoboCopy. Map some drives between the main office and filed offices and have RoboCopy copy only new and changed files. It will take longer the first time as it grabs everything, but then after that will probably only take a few minutes to grab the changes. Other nice thing about RoboCopy is you can exclude folders if need be.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

i was going to use this script and using schedule task schedule it to run at night will this work ?

@ECHO OFF
SETLOCAL

SET _source=\\brbos\d$\userprofiles\
SET _dest=\\brpa\e$\Users\Brbosbackup
SET _what=/COPYALL /B /SEC /MIR
SET _options=/R:3 /W:3 /LOG:MyLogfile.txt /NFL /NDL
ROBOCOPY %_source% %_dest% %_what% %_options%

If you have a large user network. Look into replication software such as NSI Doubletake which does byte level replication, which relication only the changes made to files, saving tons of bandwidth.

i like to use switches /E /ZB /COPY:DAT /XO

Looks liek your options will get you much the same with security added on, but I would add the /XO to exclude older files. No sense in copying over the older files.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

The /MIR should be used here as well.
If your files at the source end are large and have been deleted at some stage, your backup will still keep backing this file at the destination, which may lead to problems later on (backup size). The /MIR will get rid of them at the destination if they are deleted at the source.

Claudius (What certifications??)

I used robocopy with the /mir to replicate ~800 MB of changed data to two servers over a T1 link. We have found replication to one server took 5 hours. Replication to two server took 8 hours. I agree with technome that maybe licensed replication software will be more efficient. We purchased Veritas Replication Exec and now it only takes 1 to 2 hours to do the same job. Good luck.

Paul

Work on Windows, play on Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back