Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Size With Background Picture

Status
Not open for further replies.

matethreat

Technical User
Jan 5, 2004
AU
Hello,

I have added a .jpg image as the background on one form. The file size of the picture itself is only 116Kb, but when I add it to the form it increases the size of my database by 5Mb.

Does anyone know why this happens.

Destiny Is Not The Chances We Take, But The Descisions We Make.

How are ya matethreat . . . . .

First a [blue].jpg[/blue] is a compressed file, and its easy to get a 10/1 ratio. So it could be as large 1MB or more when uncompressed in memory.

There's also [blue]additional overhead[/blue] when a graphic is stored in a DB. From pointers, to info necessary for zooming, clipping & stretching.

[purple]So you will always increase the DB size an additional amount greater than the graphic file size[/purple] (uncompressed in this case). This is for any type graphic file.

I do query the 5MB for a 116KB .jpg file. Compact & repair, then see what ya get.

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Hi Aceman,

I did try to compact and repair, with no result. I ended up linking the picture rather then embedding it. It does seem a little large for it to increase to 5MB, but that's what it did, no idea. Anyway, I will let it run from a link instead.

Thanks

You are right I do get an increase, but it's not in any way substantial. With the picture linked my database is back to 280Kb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back