Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Size Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrian

Programmer
Nov 11, 2003
CA
I've got several Crystal Reports that are being used in a VB.NET program. The problem is, even though I am not saving the data with these reports, they are huge!!! A simple report with only a few fields has grown to over 8mb in size. This is causing some big issues when I'm packaging it into an install. Is there any way I can fix this? It seems like it's saving data with the report regardless if I tell it to or not.

Arrian, did you ever find a solution to your problem. I am experiencing the same, and have not been able to solve the problem.

Arrian,

You might already know, but if you are using any image CR converts them to BMP format, which explain the enourmous file size.

jesperengel, no, I have not found a solution to this problem. There is one image in the reports, but the thing is, if I save them under another name, their file size is small (less than 16kb, which is what they should be!) until I open them.

Dear arrian,

When you say when you save them under another name, do you mean the crystal report or the image within the report?

If it is the report that gets smaller when you save with another name, then I don't have an answer.

If, however, it is the file size of the image when you save it separately, that could be due to the application that you are using and the format that you are saving it to.

You need to look at the properties of the "original" image that was inserted into the report. Note the dpi, the width, height, and the bit rate.

I just had a software vendor with a similar problem request my help as they were replacing images in the existing reports to reflect a name change for the application. The file size was growing from 65 kb to over a mb.

When I looked at the properties of the original image it was set to 8bits and with a smaller dpi than the new image which had a 32 bit rate.

So, when Crystal converts the image to a bitmap internally it was growing the size of the file. We had the graphics guy redo the image to make the dpi and bit rate back to 8 and now the new images do not make the file size grow out of bounds.

regards,

ro

Rosemary Lieberman
rosemary-at-microflo.com, Microflo provides expert consulting on MagicTSD and Crystal Reports.

You will get answers more quickly if you read this before posting: faq149-3762

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back