Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Sharing with Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jball

Technical User
Nov 7, 2001
GB
I am trying to share an access 2000 DB from a windows 2000 PC, with a Windows XP PC. I keep getting asked to supply a password from the XP machine, and when I do so I can see the shared folder, however I cannot access the Database it just keeps saying "It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view it's data."

I have enabled permissions on the Win2K machine and can see the file, I have also updated the Jet Database Engine to the latest service pack.

Any Ideas?

Thanks, Jason

Jason

Does the folder on the 2K machine with the access db have write access for the user that you are connecting to from XP?

John

Yes unfortunately it does. Can't think of anything else that could be causing it.

Is there a user setup on the 2k machine with same credentials as XP logon (username/password)?

Do both the security AND share permissions (there are 2 lots of permissions) for the folder give full access to the folder (I think Access needs full rather than just write access).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back