Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

file sharing with windows xp pro ????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppope

IS-IT--Management
Sep 23, 2003
US
I am trying to share a folder on a winxp pro machine. The problem is when I try to access this folder from another computer, by browsing the network, find the winxp machine with the shared folder, it ask for a password. Do I have to create login accounts for every computer that needs to access this file? I have other winxp machines that have folder shared, which require no login. Can anyone help me!!!

You need to delete the default shares like:

C$ D$ etc.

Those are what cause me the most problems.

Also, I don't think the plethera ?'s after your question are really necessary, I mean, isn't just 1 sufficient?

Regards.

How do I delete these default share's?

You can't delete the C$ and D$ shares as they are built in administrative shared. You can however create new shares and share them out with different permissions to whatever users you like. Is this a home network or a corporate network?

See if checking "Use simple File Sharing (Recommended)" in Folder Options/ View, on the problem XP, machine stops it asking for passwords.

"Specifies that simplified sharing is enabled. Simplified sharing lets you share folders with everyone on your workgroup or network and make folders in your user profile private. However, if simplified sharing is enabled, you cannot prevent specific users and groups from accessing your shared folders. Clear this check box if you want to set folder permissions for specific users and groups."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back