Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File sharing with Linksys VPN Routers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 2005
US
We just installed Linksys RV042 VPN routers at two locations, hoping to link them. The tunnel is connected, and I can ping the machines on the opposite end. Netbios, IPX/SPX, TCP/IP are installed on all adaptors. All machines are Windows XP (home & pro). I cannot however map a network drive to a remote shared folder. It gives me System Error 53, Network Path was not found.

Help.... Linksys is no help at all with this.

Have you tried mapping the share by IP address instead of server name? //ipaddress/share If you don't have a dns server on the network with the share, name resolution will not work.

I am trying to map this share by IP....
ie: net use y: //192.168.100.50/backup

Network1:
192.168.100.XXX / Subnet 255.255.255.0

Network2:
192.168.3.XXX / Subnet 255.255.255.0

There is not a DNS or WINS server on these networks.
Just using standard MS file sharing.

I cannot resolve names (ie COMP001), but thats okay, I just need to be able to access the shared folders.

before someone says something about the net use:
I was trying: net use y: \\192.168.100.50\backup
and also from Windows Map Drive

Did you try disabling the windows firewall (or any other firewalls i.e ZoneAlarm) on both sides?

I had the same scanario with a NetGear VPN. VPN connection worked and I could ping all hosts on my office LAN but couldn't map a share. The firewalls were the problem. Disable them both to test then figure out what you need to "allow" to keep your mappings.

Hope that helps.

Mike,

Have you tried a netBIOS status command both ways?

Try this... either computer check netBIOS status by typing:

nbtstat -a XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

Substitute "XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX" with the IP address of the local and remote computer. Make sure you get a response both ways. Also make sure the "GROUP" name is the same both ways. If no response from one or the other you may have a firewall issue as "jlsecure" mentioned. If "GROUPS" don't match, your on different workgroups. Post back the results.

THANK-YOU! to all who posted remarks. This was very helpful. After disabling Windows Firewall on both ends, I was able to map the drives by IP address.

I turned the Firewall back on, after changing the exceptions for File & Printer Sharing, and Remote Desktop.
I changed the scope to custom list, and put in the subnet of the local group and the IP of the remote comptuer(s).
It works great now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back