Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File sharing on AOL broadband 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaguartec

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2003
FR
AOL do not issue static IP Addresses. Therefore, as far as I know, VPN cannot be used. How can I share folders/files between 2 remote computers?

A dynamic IP address is not a real barrier to using a VPN. Others have reported good results using a dynamic dns service. is one such service, there are others and I have no personal experience so you are on your own there. Basically, each time you get a new IP, your computer will register with the service so others can specify a host name similar to yourpc.dyndns.org instead of your ever changing IP.

Bigger problem may be AOL itself, they have been known to block the protocols needed for a VPN. Doesn't seem to be real consistent, some areas it works fine. If your core connection is provided by someone else (cable, dsl from the telco, etc) you have a better chance. I would give it a try anyway.

Many thks - I have checked them out and it does seem to be an answer. However, is it also feasible to use an ADSL modem, coupled to a router, and using PPPoE (whatever that is!!) to achieve the same result. Everytime I ask a router supplier, they treat me as thick!! and I don't get a proper answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back