Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Sharing between MAC/Leopard and winXP???

Status
Not open for further replies.

blitz92

Technical User
Feb 14, 2005
US
I used to be able to see and share files with my other WinXP machine (on the same wireless network). I have turned my file sharing "on". I currently can't access my files on the WinXP box from my mac (10.5). Both the WinXp and mac are on the same network. I have always been able to do this until recently.

Please help me with else I can do!!!

blitz92

Did you lose this ability after some change to either system or the network? It could be a firewall or router issue.

I would see if you can ping one machine from the other.

Check Sys Prefs/Sharing/Firewall to see if Windows File sharing might have gotten turned off. Also check the Windows machine for its similar settings.

Using OSX 10.3.9 & 10.4.11 on a G4, G5 & Intel Macbook

My money is on Windows Firewall

Tek-Tips Forums is Member Supported. Click Here to donate

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

I would have to agree with jmgalvin and Foamcow, if you have done recent updates to the PC my money is on the firewall being turned on or the settings changed if it was already on.

Twist

===========================================
Everything will be OK in the end.
If it's not OK, then it's not the end

I have checked the macbook's Sys Prefs/Sharing/Firewall and made sure that Windows File sharing is turned on. But I still can't connect to the winxp machine. What should I be checkin on the Windows machine "for its similar settings"?. I am new to the this mac to windows connncetion stuff please help anyone. Thanks again!!

blitz

On the Windows machine, look in "Control Panel". There will be an icon called Windows Firewall. If the firewall is ON, turn it OFF, and see if that solves your issue. If it does, you can then look into modifying the Windows Firewall settings to allow networking, if you feel you need the firewall to be on. Just turning on Windows File Sharing, does not change the firewall settings.

I'm anything but an expert on windows-mac sharing. but here's one thing to try.

If the Windows volume does not show up on your mac desktop open Dick Utility and see if the Windows volume show up in the left panel. If yes, click the Open button on the top of the window t mount the volume. I do not know how to do the same thing on a Windows machine.

Using OSX 10.3.9 & 10.4.11 on a G4, G5 & Intel Macbook

Try going to System Preferences > Sharing, click on File Sharing, and click Options... Check the box that says "Share files and folders using SMB" and check the box next to your username. Not sure if this will help - just was looking through the Sharing preference pane myself.

Also in XP check to make sure your WORKGROUP assignments are correct, which I believe those settings are in the MY COMPUTER folder.

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back