Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

file scripting object 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vec

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2002
US
How do I add this reference or what ever it is. I am reading and it said "include the file scripting object" but it does not say how??

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Univer

Hey strongm,

Any suggestions on where to start digging into With per your gracious offer above. Thanks!

Have a great day!

j2consulting@yahoo.com

>an implicit TextStream object created by the FileSystemObject.OpenTextFile

Exactly so

I never knew you could do that. What impact does that have on reference counters, etc. and where do I read up on this technique. I couldn't find anything on it in VB6 MSDN?

Gotta Run but thanks for the cool example!

Have a great day!

j2consulting@yahoo.com

strongm

Check out vb5prgrmr's comments on FSO in this thread... thread222-358873

In this example FSO may be faster but its not always (I believe often) the case.

The only slow part of FSO is retrieving individual items from the three collections it uses (Drives, Folders, Files). This is an inherent problem of Collections, rather than FSO itself (and why I use Dictionaries rather than Collections when I can).

In an application that makes intensive use of FSO's collections (such as a recursive method for walking the directory tree, which is what vb5prgrmr was specifically commenting about) FSO will be slower than using alternative strategies that avoid retrieving items from collections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back