Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Recovery from "Documents and settings" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerfman

Technical User
Nov 3, 2005
US
My motherboard went bad and corrupted my Win XP Pro.
I can access the drive after installing XP on new drive.

When I try to look at "Documents and settings", and a specific user folder an error occurs, saying access denied.

Who can I get access to or copy the data from this directory?

If you haven't encrypted the filesystem you should be able to take ownership using an administrator account and set permissions as you wish.

Goto Properties > Security > Advanced > Owner > Select your administrative user to change the ownership to and select replace permissions on subdirectories etc

Then modify the permissions in the security tab to allow whoever / whatever you want to have access to the files.

If you encrypted the filesystem, then it is a whole lot harder!

A smile is worth a thousand kind words. So smile, it's easy! :)

damber, Thanks your info seems sound. What do you right click on to get to properties, security on another drive?

I clicked on the drive letter, the "documents and settings" folder and the user folder. I found no security tab under properties.

This drive is my old XP drive. I have recovered other directorys. Tried to create a user name the same as folder but nothing seems to work. I still get access denied.

Any other hints would be greatly appr....

You seem to have the simple view enabled and are probably part of a workgroup rather than a domain, try:

either
hold down [Ctrl] whilst right clicking and selecting properties
or
Goto Start >Settings >Control Panel > Appearance & Themes > Folder Options > View/Advanced, then clear "Use Simple File Sharing"

I've not tested it but it should then enable you to see the security tab.

damber,

Thank you so very much. The 'ctl' right click on properties did the trick.

I did it on the drive letter and changed the permissions including all the children. Now I have full access to the drive again.

[COLOR=red yellow]Cudo's to you[/color].

Great - glad you got it sorted - nothings worse than potential data loss !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back