Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FILE: port does not exist - how do I install it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleK

Technical User
Aug 22, 2003
US
I've been unable to export to PDF from PageMaker (see my thread in the PageMaker forum), evidently because my Postscript Printer driver needs to be set to use port FILE: (print to file).

Lots of people have advised me how to select the "FILE:" port from the list under Printer Properties ("ports" tab), but that doesn't help me, as it isn't in the list.

Apparently such a port is supposed to exist (presumably created when WinXP is installed?), but my computer does not have one.

Any suggestions?

~kyle

Start, Printers and Faxes, File, Server Properties, check you local port listing there and add it if needed.

I've tried that, but when I go to "Add Port" the only "type" options are "local port", "PDF Port", and "Standard TCP/IP Port". There is no option for a "Print to File" port.

~kyle

Wow, you're right... I tried once adding a "local port" and naming it "File" but it didn't work (maybe I spelled it wrong, or left out the colon or something)

Anyway, as you advised, I added a "local port", named it "FILE:" and voila! I have a "print to file" port.

Thanks for your help

~kyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back