Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

file permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

butler

MIS
Oct 12, 1998
US
Hi all,

I have a permission problem I cannot figure out. I have a directory called 'source' with file permissions of drwxrwxrwx. My UMASK (umask -S) is u=rwx,g=rwx,o=rw.

However, when I create a new file (ls > temp.file), the permissions on the new file are -rw-rw-r--????

No matter what I change the umask to, I can't get new files to use any permissions???? What is going on?

bill [sig][/sig]

When you set your umask, AIX will never put X permissions on new files, NEVER.

What are you trying to do? [sig][/sig]

Thanks for responding,

I have a user, and I want files created by this user to be rwx for everyone. How do I make this happen?

bill [sig][/sig]

hi
you can use smit users--->change show characteristics of user--> select user
and change file creation mask.In your case it appears to be set to 002;to have
rw-rw-rw- permissions on newly created files by user change the mask to
hope it will work; but as ElgisRamon said it is not possible to have x permission
set automatically on a newly created file(but that you can for directories).

Regds
Shiraz [sig][/sig]

Thanks Shiraz,

I will try this. [sig][/sig]

You don't state why you want your user's files to be executable. If a user is creating executable files (scripts and programs) he/she should first learn the chmod command. unix never "assumes" that a file is executable. [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back