Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

adop

Technical User
Sep 3, 2004
I have folder1 on network shared drive and folder2 within folder1. Inside folder2 there is a file which I want to be fully accessible to a user. I do not want user to see files within folder1 or folder2. User should only have a shortcut on his desktop which points to that file. Is it possible to do this and how permissions should be setup? Thank you.

Maybe you could assign that user list folder permissions only to the top of the share and then the applicable rights on folder2.

I have gave user list permissions for "operations" and "facilities" folders and all users have read/write access to "company" folder.. User has full access to the file itself , placed inside facilities folder. She can open file but when she tries to save it she gets following message:

Microsoft Office Excel cannot access file "\\blabla\company\operations\facilities'. There are several possible reasons:

- the file name or path does not exist
- the file is being used by another program
- the workbook you are trying to save has the same name as a currently open workbook

I am pretty sure none of these cases apply. It ‘s got to be permissions issue.

I had this issue once, and it boiled down to the permissions. Check your "inherit" permissions on the file. Are they inherited from the parent? If so, Copy the perms, and change as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back