Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Permission problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

lockend

Technical User
Mar 18, 2005
CA
In our current setup we have a folder with one file in it. It is shared on our netowrk. The 'All Users' group has read and execute access to the file so everyone can view it, then we have a group (Group1) set up so that members of the group can make changes to the file as they need to. I just recently added a user to Group1 so that they could change the file as well, but when they go and try open the file it comes up as read only. They can do a Save As and make a completely new file but can't overwrite the original. Any ideas out there as to why this is happening? I've been trying different settings for about an hour now and still have no luck.

-Dale
"There's no such thing as bad luck, just an absence of good luck.

Don't laugh too much at me, but it turns out a user had the file open the whole time. The reason I didn't catch this is because normally when someone has a file open and someone else tries to open it, a message comes up saying "This file is locked for editing by XXX". This message never came up so I don't know who or what was accessing the file, but the employee trying to change it just sent an email to everyone telling them to exit the file, and about 10 minutes later it worked!!

-Dale
"There's no such thing as bad luck, just an absence of good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back