Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Open/save dialog hanging

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDA

Technical User
Jan 16, 2001
US
Hi,

I am running Win XP pro on my IBM laptop with a 1ghz proc. and 512mb of ram.

Anytime I try to open or save a file and try to navigate to another folder, the application I am using freezes for about 1-2 minutes. It happens when I click on the dop don box to browse to another folder. I have tried it with Office XP and Notepad with the same results.

Any ideas why eveyrthing would freeze? The task manager shows resources available but the application shows not responding.

Thanks for any ideas.

MDA

Are you on a network when this happens or local only?

David Ball CNE, MCSE

I am logged into our LAN. However, it seems that it is not consistent. For instance yesterday, it happened on Word XP and notepad... This morning, it is only happening on Word. I have run the detect and repair on Office XP with no success.

On a side note... Win XP used to pop up a few seconds after login. Now it seems it takes about 2 minutes to complete startup after login.

What gives?

Regards...

MDA

Has it always been that way or is it something new?
If so what changed?

David Ball CNE, MCSE

Hey David,

As I mentioned, it used to work fine. I wish I knew what changed. I could go back and fix it, if I did. I posted the questions because I thought it may be a common issue with win/Office XP... I have other colleagues that are having the same issues with Word taking a long time to browse the directories.

MDA

have you installed latest Service packs???

Win xp is at SP 1 now
and
Office XP is at SP 2

David Ball CNE, MCSE

Yep... All the latest SP's and hotfixes for Win XP and Office XP. The funny thing was that right after the Win XP SP2 install, my laptop was booting within a few seconds. Then a few days later everything screeched to a halt? Strange.

MDA

I do have Norton 2002 installed..

** I think I figured it out! I have a few drive mappings to test boxes that are shut down. I deleted the mappings and now suddenly it seems WIN XP boots much faster and also WORD does not hang when I browse for a directory on the open/save dialog.

I guess Win is trying to connect to the mapped drives, even though it says no connection at boot up.

Thanks for the help.. Wonder if that is a bug or for some reason, by design?

MDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back