Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File open in word 97 is slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

technomama

Technical User
Mar 11, 2002
US
Setup a new pc with office 97. On the old PC, when I do a file//open, it takes about 6 sec to display the list of 1200 files. On the new PC, it takes about 20 sec to display the same list of 1200 files. I don't want to put the files in sub directories. Tried a new normal.dot and that didn't fix it. Ran virus scan and PC is clean. Fast Find is not installed on the pc. Any suggestions?

I ran a scan disk and defrag. It is Windows 98 and Word 97 SR2

If you have Outlook running, you may have to go in and clear all check boxes for "Also Record files from" under Tools, Options, Journal.

Indu

Thanks. No other App is running. I even turned off virus scanning program (and cleared stuff from the task list)

Sorry, I should have worded it better. If Outlook has been installed, it might be a good idea to clear those check boxes.

Also, this is taken directly from the Gods at Microsoft:

When you start Word, it gathers printer driver information to use for document formatting and printing operations. If the printer driver is located on the remote print server, it can take Word longer to make the connection to the print
server and gather the information it needs.

In other words, you may want to re-install the printer Word is pointing to.

I also read somewhere about Fonts causing slowness, or rather shortage of. I don't remember exactly.

Indu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back