Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Open does not display Network Filenames 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

THW

IS-IT--Management
Jun 1, 2001
CA
We have a shared folder on an NT4 Server (SP5), which is accessed by Word97 on NT4 Workstation (SP5)

When you go to "File Open" in Word, it doesn't display the filenames in the file list, but you can move the cursor over the blank entries to open up whatever file is under the cursor selection.

Windows Explorer, however, has no problem displaying the file list from this same folder. The user has "Full control" access to this folder.

Has anyone encoutnered this?

If I understand you correctly.
I think you may have gotten a Word macro virus. My recent file list disappeared after I closed and re-opend Word.
I spoke to Microsoft about a similar issue and that's what they said.

Fix is to re-install Word. but that may not fix it either.
Reformat the hard drive is drastic but you won't have any problems.

DougP, MCP

Visit my WEB site to see how Bar-codes can help you be more productive

DougP:

Thanks for the response. We had considered a possible Macro virus.

However, if we move the folder in question from the network file server and save it to a local drive, we have no problems at all in viewing the file list within Word.

Wouldn't this discount a virus?

Have you tried an office repair? Control panel, add/remove programs, office 97, change remove.

You could try to put the SP6 onto your NT4.0 machines, that *may* help.

Hello,

We tried an office repair.. but it didn't fix the problem.

We hesitate to install SP6, as it isn't the company standard and hasn't been tested with our other applications.

I guess we'll try a complete un-install and re-install of office next..

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Check out the FAQ I wrote (go to MS Office list of questions and hit FAQ tab), THW, for repairing Word. I suspect the registry fix will do it, but I suggest you always take the steps in order. I've never heard of a macro virus doing that, but...
techsupportgirl@home.com
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word

Thanks for the help, Dreamboat.

Unfortunately, I won't have a resource until Friday to work on this, but I'll pass on any results when we get it checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back