Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File on server loads too slowly

Status
Not open for further replies.

britney

Technical User
Nov 6, 2001
GB

We have a pretty fast file server with tons of memory
running NT Server SP6.

We have a problem on some workstations acessing a rather large file folder. (185 megs - containing about 3500 MS Word documents).

Half of our workstations can access the file quickly with no problems.

The other half of the workstations take 30 seconds or so just to load up the listing of files in the folder.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this ?

Your problem could be alot of things... here are a few to check, and also post more info....

Network cards, What speed are they, are they full or 1/2 duplex.

Switches, are you using 10M or 100M switching solution? Or are you using Hubs, if its hubs... there is 50% of the issue.

Check your network segments... are some of them congested and high traffic while others are realativly unused?

Ram,Harddrive,swapfile,avail space on the local PC's, do they have enough, and are they fast enough to keep pace?

Server, 1 network card or multiple? One or two cards could= bottleneck

There are several other things to check too, just use your good judgement and keep it simple, check the easy and obvious FIRST.

Let me know if you have any other issues,
Good Luck,
SteelDragon

Really grateful for your help and advice.

Lots to consider.

We do use have a hub and only one network card in the server.

The workstation network cards are all the same yet response time from some wkstns great while others are bad.

Do you think it's workstation condfiguration issue rather than server ?

Actually, I think it's a network issue. Hubs are bad for anything more than LIGHT usage. Get a switch. Hubs are just a splitter, it shares the network bandwidth between all users, switches provide a virtual pipeline for each user, and switches are managed. For instance, 5 users on a 100MB hub, each gets 20MB bandwidth (BTW this is WAY over simplified it actually doesn't split evenly it's more like first come first serve, or the guy that has the closest/lowest ping to server gets a better connection). Take those same 5 users and put them on a switch, they ALL get the full 100MB switched to the server.
That is an overly simplistic view of it, but it's the basic concept. Also, add a second NIC to the server, a 2 NIC configuration is actually 4 times more effective than a 1 NIC solution. Do those two things and you will see drastic improvement in your network performance. If there is anything further I can help you with let me know.

Good Luck,
SteelDragon

Hi,

If you have made any chances in your server (add drivers, change parametres of you netwok card like half duplex to full duplex etc....), you have to update your SP6

Note : Explore your CD sp6 and execute upgrade.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back