Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File \ntknrlmp.exe cannot be loaded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakobud

Technical User
Mar 9, 2001
US
Okay, so over the past few years I have done dozens in Win2k installs. But today I encountered a roadblock that I could not get passed that I have never seen before.

I had a harddrive with Win2k on it and I was gonna put it with a new mobo and memory. So I decided to do a clean Win2k install. I wipped the drive and formated it as Fat32. Then I used some old Win2k startup disks on the PC. During the process on the first disk I get an error similar to this:

File \ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded.
The error is code 4.
Press any key to exit.

That's it. All I could do is exit the setup...So I press the key and the setup restarts. I doesn't give me the error this time, so I thought it was a fluke. The four discs did their thing and installed some stuff then the computer restarted or something to the real Win2k setup would begin. Then I get some fatal error referring to a lack of an ntkrnlmp.exe file...So I guess I didn't quite dodge the first error like I thought I did.

I did a little research on this error and didn't find much. It seemed to point to a RAM problem. But I swapped the ram with Ram that I know is good, and got the same error.

So I tried making new bootdisks off the Win2k CD on my other computer. Same error.

Then I tried downloading some Win2k bootdisk images and used those. Same error.

Then I tried booting to DOS on the machine I was installing on and made new bootdisks from the CD. Same error.

I really just don't know what to do. I have never encounted this before and did not find a valid solution on the net. Some other similar errors I saw some people having on the net was later after Win2k was totally installed, they would be a random boot error looking for that ntkrnlmp.exe file. But there wasn't any clear solutions here either. People seemed to blame it on SP3.

Anyways, does anyone have any clues here? Could it possibly be my hard drive? That's the next/last thing I'm gonna try is installing it on a different HD. If that doesn't do the trick...I don't know what will.

Boggles my mind :(

jakobud

..ever tried a win98 bootdisk, and run fdisk /mbr ??

Strator

..and after reboot trying to run the win2k install from a set of fresh win2k install-floppies.... again?.. :)

Simply :
Your RAM maybe incompatible with the OP system ..
try to replace it , and I beleive it will work .. Mohamed Farid
Know Me No Pain , No Me Know Pain !!!

Jakobud: I was having the same problem with a clean install of mine, same circumstances.

I tried Strator's suggestion, win98 boot with fdisk /mbr... it cleared up my problem, and was actually able to boot from the cd at that point.

Thanks a heap, Strator!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back