Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File / New 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamafopa

MIS
Mar 1, 2001
CA
This is probaly a simple question, but I just don't seem to be able to get Windows help to spit out the answer.
When I am in Windows Explorer and I choose File, I get a list that includes New, Shortcut and a bunch of pointer to types of files type that I might want to create (Word Document, Excel Spreadsheet, Visual Basic Project). What I would like to do is to edit this list as it has become too long.
Thanks in advance...
Chris

OK...this is relatively easy, if you know where to look, but it is buried in the Registry, so extreme caution is advised.... :)

1. Backup your registry! (VERY IMPORTANT)
2. Open RegEdit (or Norton RegEdit if you have it)
3. Search for "ShellNew" (You'll find them all in HKCR)
4. Delete the ShellNew keys you don't use. (careful! :))
5. Restart Win9x (Start->Shut Down->Restart)
(shift-left click OK for fastest recycle)
6. See if it worked...if it did not, restore the original
registry, and try again.

Hope this helped. :)

Raymond Danner III

Hi,
A safe way to edit this list is to download and install Tweak UI. It will place an icon in your control panel, when you run the applet, there is a "NEW" tab that allows you to simply check or uncheck any of the file types listed in the new menu. It will also allow you to make a lot of other useful changes to Windows. It can be downloaded for free at (Search for Tweak UI).
Hope this helps.

D'oh! :-0 I'd forgotten that TweakUI does this! LOL! Thanks for reminding me, computerguy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back