Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File locking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Streetdaddy

Programmer
Jun 10, 1999
AU
I am developing websites uploading them over a network cable to an NT4 box with IIS.

The scenario is: Im looking at a page in a browser that is also the page Im working on. I save the changes to the file and try to upload the file to the server, but get a 'File in use - cant copy' type error.

Is this because NT is locking the file when it gets requested by someone? If I wait 20 seconds after refreshing the page in a browser, then the lock doesn't affect the upload!

Is there a way to shorten or disable the file locking? (if thats even the problem...)

Thanks for any help :-D, the Sys Admin's around here are useless! LOL

For what it's worth, I do this type of thing regularly with no file locking problem.

nick bulka

Haha, tell that to the Systems guys here! None of them have a clue, or can't be bothered trying to work it out... I don't have time, nor the experience, but nevertheless here I am searching for an answer... :cool:

Are you running CF server on the machine by any chance? Miles Tillinger
SE Net Web Design
vmiles@senet.com.au

I have the same problem. We are running NT 4.0 and IIS 4.0. I will be interrested in the cure for this problem.

Thanks

are the pages straight html or asp/cold fusion scripts?

if it is a script, it might be something that is still executing after you call the page.

also check to see if server-side script debugging is turned on. this will sometimes occupy a file after it is processed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back