Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File level permissions won't stay??? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechDaddy123

IS-IT--Management
Apr 18, 2002
US
I'm kinda stumped with this one. Here's what I've got. Win2003std server with NTFS. I've shared a folder and given the everyone group the share permissions of change and read. On the security tab, I've given Users all but full control.

What I'm trying to accomplish, and works fine this way on Win2000 server, is to lock down one file, where one group has read-only permissions, and another group has write permissions. I've created my groups, added users to those groups, taken the inherit permissions off the file and adjusted the access groups on it adding the groups I created with their specific accesses. I've also removed the creator owner and users groups from it.

Here's the funny part. The access works right the first time it's opened. If it's a user with read only access, that's what they get.

If it's a user with write access, as soon as they save the file the permissions are replaced with the default permissions, the user is added to the security with specific access, and the inherit is turned back on!!! Anyone know what's going on here?

I've even tried denying changing permissions to both groups but it still happens. At first I thougt it might be Office2003 doing this, but it doesn't matter the file type. It happens with Excel, Word, Wordpad, even Photoshop PSD files.

Any ideas will be appreciated!

The file is being replaced by the user that has write permissions. The easiest way out would be to move the file to another folder below, and assign the correct permissions to the folder, then when the user with write saves, it inherits the correct permissions from the folder. It's a pain but it beats trying to get around the MS features

=)

Thanks for the advice. I bet that will do it.

Not sure why this is a "feature" either.

Works great using directory security.

Looks like Microsoft isn't recommending file level security anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back