Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File is locked for editing

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilcorbett

Technical User
Apr 5, 2002
LU
Hi,

I have a Windows 2k Pro machine that is part of a 2k Domain. 2 users are having the same problem, when they open a Word or Excel file they get the error, this file is locked for editing by user .... open read only or notify.

If you close the document and go back into it straight away it lets you in fine.

The user that has it open is always the user thats trying to open it.

It always seems to be files that they have had open today and network based files.

I have recreated the users profile but that made no difference

I have logged the same user on a different 2k machine and the problem does not happen so its not a network issue more a local PC problem.

The user is on a roaming profile so logging onto the other machine rules the profile out.

All AV is controled through a central server so all PCS have the same settings, so cant be AV as the test PC would have had the same problem.

Tried reinstalling office too,

Run out of ideas now.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Neil

This appears to be an issue with Office as i have had similar experience. Basically your computer is still classing the file as open even though you, or your users, are adamant they closed it. Although the program is closed, a process is still open on that file/document. One wasy to check is to see if the process is still open (CTRL+ALT+DEL - task manager - processes) and close it.

This also seems to happen if you have outlook open; somehow it gets classed as having a word document open.

One handy program i found that allows you to find the program that has locked a file and kill that process is 'Who Lock Me'. You can find it at Its FREE and very useful.

try hitting the refresh button once it is closed or prior to opening.

we had the same problem with network based files and until someone closes it and the file gets refreshed it will appear like it is still in use.

Hi,

We have just had the error happen again, the file had been open earlier today however it was closed ok prior to reopening.

Outlook was open at the time, I got the user to try to open the doc but this time with Outlook closed and she still got the same problem.

Checked task manager and it was not showing anything out of the normal open.

With regards eyec's feedback it is always the same user trying to open the doc its not as though several people are working on it. She does a bit closes it then goes back in later in the day and gets the error, no one else has been in the file.

I have watched the error happen and the file is not already open prior to re opening, she is opening and closing properly.

Within Task Manager you have various tabs, the one you need to check is the Processes tab. This will show any open processes (even though the application tab may show no programs open), and allow you to close them.

did you have the user try the refresh?

Hi Munkee35,

I had already checked the processes tab and all is ok ie nothing relating to excel or the files in qustion listed in their, sorry for not being clear in my previous update.

Neil

Just tested the refresh idea from Eyecs post and it does not help.

One thing I have just found is that opening docs that are old and not used that often also generates the error but its now stating a different user having it open. However the different user left the company 18 months ago and accounts deleted, PC reformatted etc so it can not pysically be open by that user.

Only 2 staff are having the problem, if i open the xls files from my PC they open fine first time no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back