Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

file information as seen in explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cramd

Programmer
Mar 28, 2001
US
When looking at a directory through windows explorer, we are given the choice of viewing the directory as: thumbnails, tiles, icons, list, and details. Using the "details" view, I can then customize my view by adding field information for "date created", "date accessed", "author", "subject", and many more choices. My question is, if the information is provided in the "explorer" view, is there any way to access this information from within a .Net program. I have discovered using the "fileinfo" within .Net, ex: "dim fi as fileinfo" I can obtain "name", "lastwritetime", "length", "ext", and a few other choices, but I don't get all the choices that are provided in the "details" view from Windows Explorer. I know the information is there, I just can't figure out how to get it. I have used this statement at the top of my program "Imports System.IO", is there another imports statment that I need to access this data?
cramd

Explorer uses several shell extensions to get this info. The columns for Author and Subject are provided by a shell extension that knows how to read MS-Office files.

AFAIK, short of opening each file yourself via COM automation, there's no way for a .NET app to get all those columns.

Chip H.

Chip,
Thanks for your info, although I really hoped for a better solution, sound like I'm trying to achieve the impossible. Opening and closing files to retrieve that information is ugly.
cramd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back