Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

file in use error -47

Status
Not open for further replies.

internetadik

IS-IT--Management
Oct 4, 2002
US
I have nt4 with quarkxpress 4.11 - when i use save as.. to save a file to the network ( netware3.11) it's giving me 'file in use (-47)'. Any thoughts what's the problem and solution for this ?

internetadik,
mmm...strange...
as you are networked, obviously, someone else could have the document opened (a product manager perhaps). "Save to" desktop, then desktop your file to the server.
Wulfie

Has someone else got a file that is being used in the page open maybe ie. a tif or eps file. Collect all the items to your computer, then save as an eps file maybe. If you can't fix it in 20 minutes call someone who can.

What i understand from your problem is, you are trying to work on a QuarkXPress document by opening it over a network. Technically, it should work well. Please note that QuarkXPress is not guaranted to work on network. The workaround is copy the QuarkXPress document to your workstation and then open the file. After working on it save it on ur workstation then tranfer to the server.
When QuarkXPress opens a file over a network, the page you see on your sreen is only in the cache, hence at no time the entire document is present thus any network error can cause an error.

You need to copy/move the file onto your computer. Then once you have finished working on that document, save it on your hard disk and move it back to the netware server.

As QuarkXPress is not designed to work on a network, you face this problem. Technically speaking, it should work but as i said before it is not designed to work over a network so you'll face certain errors.

So the best workaround is to copy/move the file onto your hard disk and save it there and then move it back onto the netware server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back