Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

file format/extension through dos...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasony

Programmer
Jan 13, 1999
US
Visit site
I cannot get into Windows, and need to back up all my mail before I reformat and reinstall Windows. Does anyone know what the file format(extension) is for mail files, and how I can locate these mail files in DOS, so I can copy them to &quot;D:\&quot;<br>
<br>
Thanks,<br>

Without more information, i.e. your email client, your mail handler (exchange, cc:mail, a dial-up to an isp), etc it will be difficult to answer this question.<br>
<br>
I know that Outlook (all versions) store mail and private folders in .pst, and personal address book in .pab IF you are using them.<br>
<br>
Post back with more specifics, and someone may be able to help you with a more specific answer.<br>
<br>
<br>

If you are using Outlook Express - c:\windows\application data\microsoft ... somewhere under there.<br>
<br>

Outlook Express uses the .mbx, .idx, .nch extentions and your address book is .mab. Use file find to find the directories for each user.<br>
<br>
Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back