Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyPo

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
I'm running WIN98. It seems that everytime I open a folder I get a window that opens up but has two areas in it. The right side shows me the contents of the folder I opened but the left side shows me the directory tree. I've closed the left side down and then went into view-folder options, and selected the, view-'make all folders look like the current folder'. When I close the window and re-open it, there are the two windows again. Any suggestions? Thanks

TonyPo,

Try this:

View => Explorer Bar => untick "Folders"!

Regards §;O)

Jakob

Yes I've tried that as well. When I un-check the folders within view, the second window does go away, but when I close it and re-open, there it is again.

I'm thinking there is something hiding somewhere telling these folders how to display.

Thanks

TonyPo....
Do what Dkdude said...but from the Windows Explorer Shortcut on the Start>Programs menu....
..then set it the way you like and "while holding down" the CTRL+SHIFT keys.....use your mouse to "X" out the Window..

If that don't work..i got another

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

Nope, still a 'no go'.

You have another idea?

Thanks

Try it again from MY COMPUTER.....make the change first in view>explorer bar "uncheck" folders....
AND
Look under VIEW>Toolbars...and "uncheck" Lock the Toolbars

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

Nope...

Still no workie'...

Thinks it's a bug in the soup?

Thanks

- In Tools -> Folder Options-> View -> check "remember each folder's view settings".
- To set the folder options, hold down the CTRL key as you close the folder .

Ever use Regedit...?

TonyPo....

Now I can open Windows Explorer and it defaults to treeview.....yet that can be changed from the shortcut command...
Right click Explorer....choose properties and put this line in the "Target" box.....
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n, C:\

You could also, from within Explorer treeview, and from the right pane.......Right click the folder you want and choose "Open"....I just did both and they both work

However....If I double click a folder from within Explorer treeview, I get another treeview.

If these remedies don't do what you like.post back and Please desribe a little more what's happening....and what you want to happen

TT4U

Notification:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back