Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File/Folder Properties very slow appearing, after conversion to NTFS 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upstream

IS-IT--Management
Mar 7, 2005
GB
I have converted the file systems on my XP Pro PC from FAT32 to NTFS and have done the same on a Win 2K PC. When I try to open the file/folder properties box on the XP machine it now takes up to 20 seconds to open. It is virtually instant on the W2K PC. Also, on the XP PC, the properties box doesn't show the security tab but it does show on the W2K PC.

The number of files and folders held on each PC is similiar and they are connected via a peer to peer workgroup network. Can anyone explain what is happening and why?

Thanks for your very speedy post. I will follow this up this evening and let you know how it goes.

See also: thread779-1004031

Some issues reported in the Forum in the past:

. GoBack can do this
. PGP privacy, if installed but inactive, can do this
. Webroot SpySweeper
. DIVX codecs installed but not updated

Unchecking the 'Use simple file sharing (Recommended)' has restored my security tab - thanks bcastner for this tip.

Less success with the long delay on right clicking folder properties. I discovered that this only applies to folders; files and shortcuts (eg My Documents) are OK.

I downloaded "ShellExView" and disabled each non Microsoft context-menu handler, PropertySheet handler and Icon Handler in turn, then tried some of the Microsoft keys but no success. Later today I will try disabling them all and re-enabling them one by one.

For good measure I also ran "SFC /Scannow", then defragged and error checked the disk.

I also found the attached on another Forum in response to a similar sounding problem:

"Run regedit and navigate to one of the two locations below and any value named "NoViewContextMenu" Then reboot.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ explorer

OR

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ explorer "

So I plan to try this as well.

Ok, a further update.

The problem is NOT with the context menu. This opens normally. The problem appears to reside within Windows Explorer or the file system.

The "Properties" panel takes 30 seconds to open whether called from the Context menu or from the main File Menu. But this only applies to Folders on the PC. Properties of Files are OK and the properties box opens normally when viewing folders on another PC across the network.

And the second time; if you close the Property sheet and open it again is it much faster?

I am thinking a little more RAM might be indicated here.
This allows XP to cache more disk information.

Have you checked the speed of Properties from Safe Mode?

I have seen it suggested that a combination of Firewall (especially Zone Alarm) and/or IIS can cause a similar problem. Have a wade through these links and see if you find anything.

What I dislike about the Convert.exe is that it leaves you with a Cluster size on the NTFS of only 512 bytes, the normal default being 4096 bytes. You have to live with the smallest Cluster size until the partition is eventually formatted to bring it back to the default size.

linney said:
What I dislike about the Convert.exe is that it leaves you with a Cluster size on the NTFS of only 512 bytes, the normal default being 4096 bytes. You have to live with the smallest Cluster size until the partition is eventually formatted to bring it back to the default size.

This is only true in exceptional circumstances.

I went through this two years ago on this Forum with some ill-informed tech support guy from Partition Magic.

In nearly every case a Convert operation will use 4k clusters.

Recommendation:

. do the Convert, and see what you end up with
. if you get 512 clusters, I will post later a simple fix

But lets at least put a qualified silver spiked stab in the heart of this XP myth once and for all.

If the FAT32 partition was originally formatted by anything other than XP then my "dislike" holds true (I think?).

"If the FAT volume was formatted using an operating system other than Windows XP, the cluster size of the converted volume is usually 512 bytes. However, if the FAT clusters happen to be aligned at the cluster size boundary, Windows XP Professional can use the variable cluster size for the converted volume."

Meanwhile I'm off to Partition Magic to apply for a job citing Bill as a reference.

In any case a link to the "fix" mentioned would be an extra qualification.

Exceptional Circumstances - Fix

What happens is that FAT32 partitions formatted by most Windows versions except Windows XP itself (and possibly Windows 2000) have an odd multiple of 2 kilobytes in the “system” sectors before the data area, where the File Allocation Tables themselves and clustering start. Therefore, clusters 4 KB in size are not aligned on 4 KB boundaries, as NTFS will want. CONVERT.EXE, finding it cannot use 4K clusters, gives up and makes the clusters only 512 bytes (one half KB) instead.

It is, therefore, important to realign the partition before conversion, by moving all the data area up to a 4K boundary. (This will absorb odd sectors at the far end which otherwise would not get used). For this, I suggest BootIT NG, from BootitNG.com. This is a shareware program, priced at US$30 but with a 30-day fully functional trial. You may well find it valuable also for its Disk Imaging and Partition Management capabilities.

Source: Alex Nichol, MS-MVP,
(By the way, Alex died last week suddenly of cancer. The entire Windows community will miss this generous and wonderful gentleman, and scholar).

There are several freeware utilities that will do the same service.

Notes:

. It is not Convert.exe that has an issue, it is the drive presented as FAT32 formatted elsewhere that has the issue;

. I will pay US $100 for a picture of linney in a Symentec/Norton Partition Magic T-shirt.

The default for Convert.exe under XP is 4k clusters under NTFS for any drive larger than 2gb. The only exceptional time it will not do this is when it cannot, because you imposed a cluster scheme during format that was impossible to reconcile without (as far as Convert.exe was concerned) data loss.

Happy Saint Patrick's Day to all.

Bill Castner

If the FAT32 partition was originally formatted by anything other than XP then my "dislike" holds true (I think?).

"If the FAT volume was formatted using an operating system other than Windows XP, the cluster size of the converted volume is usually 512 bytes. However, if the FAT clusters happen to be aligned at the cluster size boundary, Windows XP Professional can use the variable cluster size for the converted volume."

I wanted to comment on this as well. Windows is backward compliant with its own cluster schemes, other than for NT 3.51 formatted disks:

Goodbye "Alex" thanks for the help you gave so freely.

And thanks to Bill for continuing in the "Alex Nichol, MS-MVP" tradition.

Linney,

That is one of the nicest sentiments I have ever received.

For anyone who volunteers their time and expertise and sense of adventure to answer user issues with their computers, Alex was the examplar.

A gentleman, a true expert, and a friend.

I miss him very much. It was a rare morning that my email did not have a comment by Alex on something I had said in various fora. A pat on the back, a severe technical correction, or likely both.

And I was by no means priviliged: Alex contributed in the Microsoft Public Newsgroups and by email with hundreds of people a day.

No, I am not Alex. But I do try in my own capacity and modest means.

Thank you Alex Nichol. For everything.

Bill Castner

First many thanks for a tremendous response. I am still sifting through the wealth of valuable information.

To answer a few of the points:

I have 1024 Mb RAM so lack of RAM shouldn't be the problem. Also subsequent attempts to open "Properties" take as long as the first.

The disk is unpartitioned - Total size 186Gb, 92% free space and a cluster size of 4Kb.

I can only assume that the original format was done using XP as the PC came ready loaded with XP.

The really strange thing is that is I view the disk across the network from my other PC (Win 2K using NTFS - also converted and working perfectly), the Properties box responds normally.

I really appreciate all your help.

David Sandy (aka Upstream)

Do the fix, and report back:

1. Open up regedit.
2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Explorer/RemoteComputer/NameSpace.
3. Find a key named {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}.
4. Right click on it and delete it.
5. Restart

Hi,

I deleted the key, as suggested, restarted but the problem persists.

Whatever my arguments with Bill are over Convert.exe the fact remains this program seems to have been the catalyst for "Upstream's" problem.

I suggest that he saves all his data and reformat or use any backups that can be restored after a reformat of the drive and thereby correcting the problem which the evidence suggests was caused by Convert.exe (but only if he thinks the problem warrants that drastic action).

Were there any improvements when you tried Safe Mode?

Again I mention that a combination of firewall and IIS have caused similar problems.

"This some times has been caused when ZoneAlarm firewall is run in conjunction with IIS. It has sometimes been fixed by re-installing Client for Microsoft and File and Printer Sharing."

right clicking folder properties not showing
Thread779-620596

SUCCESS!!!!

I uninstalled/reinstalled File & Printer Sharing - no change.

I prepared a plan to flatten and rebuild the machine and backed everything up onto my second PC.

As a final attempt, I re-read the thread and realised I hadn't done anything about IIS. I uninstalled and reinstalled IIS and the problem has cleared.

VERY MANY THANKS to both bcastner and linney for your help and perseverence with my problem. It is very much appreciated.

David Sandy (aka Upstream)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back