Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Extentions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I scanned some pictures and saved them to a disk, nut when i went to open the picture on a different computer, I was not able to due to the file extentio. How can I change the file extention in order to open and view the photos? The extention is mix.

Those are Microsoft Picture It format. There are viewers that should allow you to resave the files as JPG or GIF. I have an old version of ACDSee, but it didn't have the support built in, maybe the new one will.

Try looking at download.com or shareware.com for picture viewers.

Can Microsoft PictureIt convert them? I don't know but try it. Open the photo in PictureIt and then underneath where you type the file name change the format to .jpg or whatever and then resave it.

you can do what kento suggested, but i just hold down the shift button and then right click on the file i want to open,you'lle see "open with" select that and pick a program..JUST MAKE SURE YOU UN-CHECK THE BOX THAT SAYS "use this to open always...this way if you pick a program that does'nt support file no harm done ( you didn't change anything) hope this helps!!

For what ever it's worth, is a great way to find out what file extensions are 'normally' associated with. I've found it quite handy when people give me files at work with extensions I've never seen of.

.MIX Power C Object File
Multilayer Picture File (MS PhotoDraw 2000 & MS Picture It!)
Command & Conquer Movie/Sound File
Techno eJay Music Mix File
OzWin CompuServe E-mail/Forum Access Index File

Looks like PhotoDraw is another option.

You may want to check your scanner software and see if there is a SAVE/TYPE option that will allow you to choose a more common format such as "JPG". JSV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back