Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FILE DSN Using UNC Path

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamago

MIS
Sep 13, 2004
US
I have a file dsn that I use to link SQL tables to access, the problem is that I Saved it on say L:\Data which is how it looks on my computer but others have different paths on their computers. I know the UNC path, but when I use this to create a file dsn it says fiel error #566. Is there a way to Link tables and pass through queries without having the path problem?

Any help is appreciated.

Aha, I do this already and it works great, the process I use is as follows.

1. Open MS Access
2. Go to the Linked Table Manager
3. Select all tables and tick 'always prompt for new location'.
4. When the 'select datasource' window pops up, type in the name for the system datasource (i.e. LiveData) and click new.
5. Scroll down and select "SQL Server" for the driver, click next.
6. Type the name again for the datasource (i.e. LiveData) then click next.
7. Click Finish

The SQL datasource wizard should auto run.

8. Enter a description for the datasource (i.e. LiveData)
9. In the drop down select the sql server (this should show all SQL servers available for the domain you are logged onto), click next.
10. Leave the dot in "Windows NT Network Authentication" - click next.
11. put a tick in the "Change Default Database", use the drop down list to select the required Database, click next.
12. Click next.
13. Click Finish.
14. Click "Test Datasource"
15. You should get an "OK"
16. Click OK
17. Click OK.

Access Should update the tables.

When you distribute the ms access DB to everyone, it should work fine as long as they are logged onto the same domain as the SQL server.

Hope this was what your were looking for.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you.

Thanks! I these worked for most of the computers. I had to change the server name to the IP name. But some users computers have the error "MIssing file ComTL32.ocx Version 1.3" What does this mean? Any ideas?

try the following from the command prompt....

Windows 95, 98, or Me:
regsvr32 \windows\system\COMCTL32.OCX

Windows NT or 2000:
regsvr32 \WINNT\system32\COMCTL32.OCX

Windows XP:
regsvr32 \windows\system32\COMCTL32.OCX

it might be that the activex component is not registered for the specific machine, do these machines have the full suite of MS Office or just MS Access?

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back