Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Corruption with Word Documents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muhanned

Technical User
May 10, 2001
JO
I am having a problem with some Word 2000 Documents being checked into Visual SourceSafe 6.0 where these documents become corrupted after check in.

I would perform the Add function to project and checkin the document. However, when I perform a checkout and try to open the document then I would receive the message:
"The document name or path is not valid. Try these suggestions."
"*Check the file permissions for the document or drive."
"*Use the File Open dialog box to locate the document."
" (\\...\Version Control Procedures.doc"

I have checked the permissions and location and performed all types of tests such as, disabling shadow and renaming to a filename that conforms to 8.3 but, I cannot isolate a cause.

Did anyone run across such a problem? Please help.

I believe this occurs when keyword expansion is applied to Word docs. The only recovery I've been able to due is turn off keyword expansion of .doc via the VSS Adminstration "Options", and recover the doc from an earlier version prior to enabling keyword expansion for that file type. I'm still looking for another way myself.

I got this to work with
$Revision:: $
instead of
$Revision: $
as in the SourceSafe documentation.
This is due to a Word doc being a binary file, and SourceSafe changing the size of the file.
Using a double colon, and as many spaces as you require for the max size you would expect, should get round the bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back